TMJ Dentist Sacramento
TMD is an often painful and uncomfortable condition that involves dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint
Symptoms of TMJ Dysfunction include:
- Pain and discomfort in the facial area, around the jaw and near the ear
- Pain when chewing, speaking or opening your mouth
- Reduced ability to open your mouth
- Jaws that lock or become stuck
- Clicking or popping sounds when opening or closing the mouth
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Swelling of the side of your face
This condition can be a result of a number of factors, and some of the most common contributing factors include:
- Injury to the temporomandibular joint, the jaw or the muscles of the neck
- Clenching, grinding or bruxism
- Arthritis in the temporomandibular joint
- Overall stress and anxiety which causes the patient to clench teeth and tighten jaw muscles
TMJ pain has a multitude of causes and reasons and our dentists will evaluate your specific concern to recommend treatment as indicated. This may range from non-invasive oral appliance therapy to oral surgery depending on the severity of each case.
If you experience chronic headaches, neck pain and bruxism, botox therapy may provide relief
Dr. Crooks is certified in the use of Botox to relax muscles in spasm that cause headache and neck pain, teeth grinding and devitalization of teeth.
Oral appliances may also be used in the treatment of clenching, grinding and bruxism
If you suffer from chipped or cracked teeth, excessive enamel wear, uneven teeth or headaches and jaw pain in the mornings then you may be suffering from clenching, grinding or bruxism during sleep. We can custom design a night guard to protect your teeth from the damaging wear and tear caused by this activity.
Custom designed sports guards can also be made to protect your smile from oral trauma during high impact and contact activities
Sporting injuries are one of the leading causes of tooth loss and oral trauma amongst adults and adolescents, and these can be greatly minimized with an appropriate sports mouth guard. Unlike off- the-shelf “boil and mold” mouth guard kits, a custom designed sports guard offers far better protection of your oral area.
Sports mouth guards can be used to protect your area from a number of injuries including:
- Injury to the mouth
- Injury to the lips and tongue
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Nerve damage to the tooth
- Tooth loss
At Crooks & Enmark, D.D.S. our oral appliances, night guards and sports guards are constructed from the finest quality materials to help protect the health and integrity of your smile.