Oral Cancer Testing Sacramento
Velscope technology has revolutionized the way our dentists can detect the presence of oral cancer
Oral cancer has a devastating impact on the population of America, with on average one person dying from this cancer every hour. This potentially fatal disease is rarely discovered until it is in its later stages, which makes the patients prognosis far worse than if it was discovered in its early stages. At Crooks & Enmark, D.D.S. located in Sacramento, we are working to combat this issue with our oral lesion screenings.
Utilising advanced velscope technology, our dentists comprehensively examine your oral area to search for lesions and abnormalities that could indicate the presence of oral cancer. By regularly undergoing these screenings, patients can take an active approach to protecting themselves from the devastating impact oral cancer is causing around the global population.
This highlights the importance of regular oral health checks, as during your regular check-ups the team at our dental practice located in Sacramento will perform an oral cancer screening. These are especially important for mature aged patients, as this group is at an increased risk of developing oral cancers. Other risk factors associated with oral cancer include:
- Consumption of tobacco, either by smoking or chewing (chewing tobacco is much more detrimental to your oral health and greatly heightens your risk of oral cancer)
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Excessive sun exposure
- An unhealthy diet and lifestyle
- Leukoplakia (white or light coloured patches of abnormal cells within the mouth
- Human papillomavirus infection
- A genetic disposition to cancer
There are a number of early warning signs to look out for in relation to oral cancer, and these include:
- A visible lump that can be numb or even painful
- A mouth ulcer that does not heal
- A persistent oral blister
- Loss of feeling in the oral area
- Difficulty swallowing
- Impaired mobility of the tongue
- Loose teeth and sore gums
- Altered sense of taste
- Swollen lymph glands
If you or a loved one is suffering from any of these symptoms it is best to seek the advice of a dental or medical professional as soon as possible.
Velscope technology has dramatically improved our ability If detected early, patients who suffer from oral cancer have a far better prognosis.